I’m a sucker for cooking from scratch. Sure, it takes longer and yeah, sometimes it’s not even cheaper. But it tastes oh, so much better and most importantly you don’t need to worry about those ingredients you can’t pronounce. Does anybody know what “CYANOCOBALAMIN” is?
Me neither. But apparently it’s in my store bought almond milk.
As if I needed more motivation; homemade almond milk makes a pretty incredible pumpkin spice latte.
Ingredients: Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 Cup homemade almond milk recipe
- 1/4 Cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 Tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tsp raw honey (to taste)
- 1 espresso shot (alternatively you can use 1/2 cup of strong coffee)
Instructions: Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Blend the puree, pie spice and honey with a small amount of homemade almond milk. Use enough almond milk, so the puree doesn’t leave clumps behind.
- On the stovetop, warm and stir the almond milk on medium-low.
- Optional – If you have a Milk Frother you can give it a whip
- Add the puree, pie spice and honey mixture to 1 shot of espresso. Stir it to make sure you’re clump free.
- Add the warm almond milk.
Okay, I’m done :). Back to making almond milk!
Ingredients: Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
- 1 Cup of almonds
- 2-3 Cups of water. Depends on how creamy you want your almond milk to be.
- 1/2 tbsp of vanilla. Avoid the artificial variety.
- 1/2 tbsp of honey (optional)
Instructions: Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
- Soak the almonds in water. Leave them overnight in the fridge for at least one day. Two nights is ideal.
- Drain the almonds, and rinse them off
- Blend the ingredients on high for 2 minutes.
- Use a strainer lined with a cheese cloth and pour the almond mixture through it into a juice container
- Make sure you squeeze every delicious last drop out of it!
- Store for 3-4 days in a seal container in the fridge!
You can do two things at this point, throw away the left almond chunks or re-purpose them. I like to use them for my No-Oats-Meal breakfast cereal. A third recipe in one post? Yup!
This cereal is sooo hearty and delicious. A Green Smoothie & No-Oats-Meal keep me charged up until noon. This combination was my secret weapon when I was trying to lose weight. The inspiration came from Mark’s Daily Apple. I just modified it so it doesn’t include 25 ingredients.
Ingredients: Make Ahead No-Oats-Meal
- 2 Cups of Almonds (This is where you can use up those leftover almond chunks)
- 1 Cup Pecans
- 2 Cups Walnuts
- 1 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1 Cup Hemp Hearts
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp Nutmeg
Instructions: Make Ahead No-Oats-Meal
Preparation: I make this on a Sunday and it lasts me all week.
- In a food processor add the almonds, pecans, walnuts and hemp hearts.
- Process for 5-10 seconds. This is critical, don’t make a powder! A few “whirs (obviously, that’s the sounds a food processor makes)” is all you need.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients
- Store in mason jars
- Add 1/2 cup of Homemade Almond Milk (add less if you want it thicker) and 1/2 cup of No-Oats-Meal to a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1/2 tbsp of honey (optional)
This recipe literally takes two minutes and I also take it to-go. If you’re getting serious about your health, skipping breakfast is a no-no.
The Final Sip
Sometimes, convenience gets in the way of our health. We opt for a breakfast sandwich or go for the store bought almond milk, which is undoubtedly loaded with preservatives. I know I’m guilty of it. It’s the biggest reason I started drinking green smoothies and the reason I recently started eating No-Oats-Meal.
When you decide what to eat for breakfast ten minutes before you need to leave in the morning, odds are you’re opting for a Starbucks latte and breakfast wrap. The best thing you can do for your health is plan ahead!