Peaches N’ Cream Green Smoothie
Before I get to sharing this delicious Green Spinach Smoothie with you, I wanted to chat about why we love Spinach so much! Don’t care about why Spinach is good for you? Feel free to scroll to the bottom for the recipe.
Spinach in Green Smoothies
Spinach is one of the easiest leafy greens to add to a tasty Green Smoothie. It’s got the two qualities you want in the green part: subtle in taste and nutrient dense. Way back when, when we first started drinking Green Smoothies I used almost exclusively Spinach, oops! You can read my thoughts on rotating greens here (editors note: rotating greens is a work in progress – link soon).
Anyhoo, Spinach is AMAZING, low in calories, high in vitamins, minerals and protein. It’s also pretty cheap relative to some of the other superfoods.
- Spinach is a significant source of nearly 20 vitamins and minerals!
- Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Manganese, Iron, Vitamin B, Calcium … the list goes on and on.
- The Phytonutrients found in Spinach (and other leafy greens) help fight inflammation and Cancer.
- Oxidative stress has been linked to a number of fatal disease. Antioxidants are a great way to stave off oxidation, for a happier, healthier you.
- Protein & Iron Source – If you’re a vegetarian or follow a plant based diet the one knock that is constantly brought up is the lack of suitable iron and protein sources. Spinach has an abundance of both!
- Weight Loss – Spinach is loaded with fiber and protein which help to curb hunger and leave you feeling satisfied longer.
Combines Well With
Adding spinach to your smoothies is the easiest way to start including more greens in your diet. It’s pretty awesome – you’ll notice your drink is a little greener (sometimes even a little brown depending on the recipe) but it’ll taste pretty well the same. Spinach won’t add a ton of volume or taste to your smoothie but it’ll add loads of vitamins and minerals.
Some of my favourite ingredients to use with Spinach are
- Cocoa Nibs
- Yikes! I could go on all day. Spinach isn’t going to be the dominate flavour in any of your green smoothies which makes allows it to combine well with just about anything.
Peaches and Cream – Spinach, Peach and Cucumber Green Smoothie
I love Peaches. Where I grew up it felt like they were in season for about, oh, six days. And then they were gone for the year. For those three or four weeks during harvest I’d eat them with just about anything. Mmm delicious! If you’re lucky enough to have access to fresh local peaches give this green smoothie recipe a try!
Blend the ingredients in the picture!
I’ll often add 1 tbsp of hemp seeds to this recipe – they’re an incredible source of healthy fats and protein.